Anyone who knows me, well actually they don’t even have to know me, they just have to talk to me for about 20 seconds before they are aware of my
uncontrollable obsession deep love for thrift stores and antiques.
Since grammar school, my mother was dragging me to every Goodwill and Value Village in the city. Since I am lucky enough to live in Tacoma, Washington, there is a thrift shop about every block. So thanks to my mother, to this day I can’t pass up antique stores, or any store, that may have some hidden treasures among the junk. I get a rush and a fabulous feeling of pride when I find something that fits my personality at bottom dollar! Today, I stumbled upon this chair that needed a good deal of TLC. As always, I looked past the coffee stains and other *ahem* questionable blemishes, all I saw was potential for this chair to be cleaned back into its former glory! I bought it for $10, even though the seller wanted $15, but after
flashing him batting my eyelashes, and smiling real big, he gave it to me for my asking price and even carried it to my car for me!
Here is the before photo:
And here are only some the stains in question:
Certainty, we can do much, much better!
So I started by gathering my supplies and going to town! First, I vacuumed it really well with the hose and the brush tool to get any dust/crumbs out. After that step, I poured rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and give it a good, damp spritz all over, try to concentrate on the stains and other “less than awesome” areas. Grab a dry sponge and soak it in the rubbing alcohol and then wring out. Start scrubbin! I had to use a butter knife and soak it in alcohol to get the yellow line of paint out. Be gentle though, especially if it is an antique. The butter knife was just abrasive enough to remove the paint but not damage the fabric.
Rubbing alcohol is a great way to clean microfiber, never use soap and water to clean it, it will destroy the fabric. Microfiber is made with polyester and needs to be cleaned with a type of alcohol, you can even use vodka! Woohoo!
I didn’t want to keep the dark wood legs, they were a little beat up, and not in the gorgeous shabby chic way…
I gave the legs two coats of the “Valspar Paint and Primer in One”, does the trick every time! I used a flat white, (try to control your excitement over the color choice).
I also bought new nail head trim since half of the original trim was missing as you can see in the first picture. Removing the old nail heads was not as tedious as I had anticipated, (thank god). I used pliers and the kind of nail heads that they used were in strip form, so once one of the staples that held the strip came off they all followed. I chose a brassy, gold color. For 25 nail heads it only set me back $1.75. I bought 4 packages for this project.
Start nailing those suckers in! I chose to do about an inch width between each nail. I used about 75 altogether. Sometimes the nail head part pops off if you hammer it in too hard and fast (that’s what she said), so be careful not to be too aggressive. No need to waste supplies!
All clean, painted, and trimmed up! Former glory indeed!